Diplopundit Forums
Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Note: This topic is locked. No new replies will be accepted.


Reply
  Author   Comment  
domani spero

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #1 

On July 7, we posted: “Corridor Reputation” Gets a Makeover, And OMG …. It’s Now Online!  Site creator/administrator, FSO Mark D. Perry will join us for Q&A on Saturday, July 18 at 7pm EST. You may post your questions to him by clicking on "New Topic" from the main page. (NOTE: I have posted a separate explanation on why I changed my mind about the structure of the forum, mainly because of non-nested conversation which would make it difficult to follow conversation if we post all questions under one topic).  I have reposted all questions posted in this topic as separate questions upfront and will locked this topic so this will be a read only topic from hereon. Apologies for the confusion, hope to make it smoother next time -- DS). 

Here is a brief bio of Mark D. Perry:

Mark D. Perry is a consular-coned Foreign Service Officer who has served overseas in Monterrey, Cairo, and Lima.  He is currently working in a domestic assignment at the Buffalo Passport Agency.  He enjoys chocolate and looking for ways to make life better through the use of technology. Prior to joining the service, he worked in corporate HR for Tyco International, Ltd.

Mr. Perry told us that he received clearance from PA; he will be joining the forum in his personal capacity. Standard disclaimer applies -- his views here do not reflect those of the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Government.

0
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #2 
Once you receive an email address and other information can you delete the email address rather than store it?  That would sanitize your site rather than leaving users vulnerable if you are hacked.  It's the same story with stores and credit card numbers:  There's no need for them to maintain the numbers in their database once the transaction is completed.
0
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah, if I am going to post I don't want any trace in the system of who I am related to my comment. No username, no email, no IP logging, etc. how do I know if I say something it won't come back to haunt me later if you get sued or hacked?
0
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #4 
I am very much concerned about the security of such a site, which would like to list the names, prior service locations, and possibly even future service locations, of our personnel as well as whatever other information a disgruntled employee wants to post.  The internet is not exactly a secure location, and putting this information out there potentially puts lives at risk.  How do you intend to mitigate that risk?  Also, did you clear this with Legal before you posted it?  Did you clear it with DS?  Did you discuss it with your supervisor?  

I agree, we all want candid feedback on performance and to avoid possibly toxic coworkers, but I remain unconvinced that the internet is the correct location to hash that out.
0
Unregistered
Reply with quote  #5 
I have several questions and concerns.

1. What is your tool for preventing an employee with an axe to grind from submitting multiple negative reviews about a single individual?  
2. What is your method for "reforming" a person's profile once someone posts something negative about an employee?
3. How is an employee supposed to be able to rebut negative comments, or respond to criticism?  How do you prevent it from becoming a he-said, she-said, very public, back and forth played out for the world to see?  
4. If a critique is posted with inflammatory or damaging statements, what is your method of preventing permanent damage to the employee's reputation and career?  
5. Who is liable for the statements posted on the site?  
6. Why is there no opt-out possibility?
7. When these reviews are picked up by the media and published on broadly read news sites like the Washington Post (because there is no such thing as privacy on the internet), who will be responsible to respond to these statements?  
8. When other diplomats from foreign nations read these comments about US diplomats they work with, and learn information (true or not) which may be damaging to relations between diplomats, how do you intend to remedy this?
9. Who will be moderating this site?  An FSO?  A private citizen?  
10. How will you deal with data breaches when they happen?

Look, I think this is a terrible idea.  While many of us are thoughtful and well-considered in our approach to criticism, that doesn't stop many of us from posting in the heat of the moment, or simply out of an undeserved sense of privacy.  

Once information is on the internet, it's there.  Deleted or not, it will continue to exist in various servers, screenshots and in the files of those foreign intelligence agencies which are looking to do harm to the USG.  You have only to look at Twitter to see this happening all the time - Donald Trump comes to mind, or groups like Diplotwoops, which record and re-post deleted tweets from official government accounts.

This is not a harmless endeavor, although I believe the intent is good.  Sites like ratemyprofessor do not pose a threat to national security, and I believe this site may do just that.
0
domani spero

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I am very much concerned about the security of such a site, which would like to list the names, prior service locations, and possibly even future service locations, of our personnel as well as whatever other information a disgruntled employee wants to post.  The internet is not exactly a secure location, and putting this information out there potentially puts lives at risk.  How do you intend to mitigate that risk?  Also, did you clear this with Legal before you posted it?  Did you clear it with DS?  Did you discuss it with your supervisor?  

I agree, we all want candid feedback on performance and to avoid possibly toxic coworkers, but I remain unconvinced that the internet is the correct location to hash that out.


NOTE: I've moved this question as a separate topic upfront. --DS

0
domani spero

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #7 
Reposting this question upfront as a separate topic. Sorry could not figure out how to edit my original post about posting here.  Posting separately upfront for easier follow-up and conversation, if needed.-- DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I have several questions and concerns.

1. What is your tool for preventing an employee with an axe to grind from submitting multiple negative reviews about a single individual?  
2. What is your method for "reforming" a person's profile once someone posts something negative about an employee?
3. How is an employee supposed to be able to rebut negative comments, or respond to criticism?  How do you prevent it from becoming a he-said, she-said, very public, back and forth played out for the world to see?  
4. If a critique is posted with inflammatory or damaging statements, what is your method of preventing permanent damage to the employee's reputation and career?  
5. Who is liable for the statements posted on the site?  
6. Why is there no opt-out possibility?
7. When these reviews are picked up by the media and published on broadly read news sites like the Washington Post (because there is no such thing as privacy on the internet), who will be responsible to respond to these statements?  
8. When other diplomats from foreign nations read these comments about US diplomats they work with, and learn information (true or not) which may be damaging to relations between diplomats, how do you intend to remedy this?
9. Who will be moderating this site?  An FSO?  A private citizen?  
10. How will you deal with data breaches when they happen?

Look, I think this is a terrible idea.  While many of us are thoughtful and well-considered in our approach to criticism, that doesn't stop many of us from posting in the heat of the moment, or simply out of an undeserved sense of privacy.  

Once information is on the internet, it's there.  Deleted or not, it will continue to exist in various servers, screenshots and in the files of those foreign intelligence agencies which are looking to do harm to the USG.  You have only to look at Twitter to see this happening all the time - Donald Trump comes to mind, or groups like Diplotwoops, which record and re-post deleted tweets from official government accounts.

This is not a harmless endeavor, although I believe the intent is good.  Sites like ratemyprofessor do not pose a threat to national security, and I believe this site may do just that.
0
domani spero

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #8 
Reposting this question upfront as a separate topic. Sorry could not figure out how to edit my original post about posting all qs in this thread.  Posting question separately for easier follow-up and conversation, if needed.-- DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Yeah, if I am going to post I don't want any trace in the system of who I am related to my comment. No username, no email, no IP logging, etc. how do I know if I say something it won't come back to haunt me later if you get sued or hacked?
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: