Diplopundit Forums
Calendar Latest Topics

Note: This topic is locked. No new replies will be accepted.

Author   Comment  
domani spero

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 

Yeah, if I am going to post I don't want any trace in the system of who I am related to my comment. No username, no email, no IP logging, etc. how do I know if I say something it won't come back to haunt me later if you get sued or hacked?
MP
Reply with quote  #2 

First let me thank Diplopundit for hosting this forum and giving me a chance to answer some questions.  I also want to mention that the views expressed in this interview are my own and do not represent the views of the Department of State or the U.S. government.

Now on to the question.  I thought about this issue quite a bit as I developed the site and came to the conclusion there needs to be a balance between anonymity and security.  It did not think it would be wise to have a site that was accessible to anyone.  Having access control also means having logins and usernames.

That said, there are somethings one can  do if they are concerned.  First is to sign up with an email account that you create and use only for this purpose.  You can also create a user name that does not reflect your true name.  For the issue of IP tracking, you can use a proxy server.

Unregistered
Reply with quote  #3 
But I thought you need your state.gov email to sign up for an account. Can you please clarify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered

First let me thank Diplopundit for hosting this forum and giving me a chance to answer some questions.  I also want to mention that the views expressed in this interview are my own and do not represent the views of the Department of State or the U.S. government.

Now on to the question.  I thought about this issue quite a bit as I developed the site and came to the conclusion there needs to be a balance between anonymity and security.  It did not think it would be wise to have a site that was accessible to anyone.  Having access control also means having logins and usernames.

That said, there are somethings one can  do if they are concerned.  First is to sign up with an email account that you create and use only for this purpose.  You can also create a user name that does not reflect your true name.  For the issue of IP tracking, you can use a proxy server.

MP
Reply with quote  #4 
Your state.gov email address gives you access, but is not linked in any way to your account once it is verified.    This is from the FAQ:

Why do you have to have a State email address to sign up?

It was the easiest way I could think of to ensure that only State Department members could both access and comment on the information on the site.  When you sign up, the verification email with a link will be sent to your State email account.  Once you verify your account, your State Department email is removed and there is no way to link your site activity to your State email.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.