Diplopundit Forums
Calendar Latest Topics

Note: This topic is locked. No new replies will be accepted.

Author   Comment  
domani spero

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 

I have several questions and concerns.

1. What is your tool for preventing an employee with an axe to grind from submitting multiple negative reviews about a single individual?  
2. What is your method for "reforming" a person's profile once someone posts something negative about an employee? 
3. How is an employee supposed to be able to rebut negative comments, or respond to criticism?  How do you prevent it from becoming a he-said, she-said, very public, back and forth played out for the world to see?  
4. If a critique is posted with inflammatory or damaging statements, what is your method of preventing permanent damage to the employee's reputation and career?  
5. Who is liable for the statements posted on the site?  
6. Why is there no opt-out possibility?
7. When these reviews are picked up by the media and published on broadly read news sites like the Washington Post (because there is no such thing as privacy on the internet), who will be responsible to respond to these statements?  
8. When other diplomats from foreign nations read these comments about US diplomats they work with, and learn information (true or not) which may be damaging to relations between diplomats, how do you intend to remedy this?
9. Who will be moderating this site?  An FSO?  A private citizen?  
10. How will you deal with data breaches when they happen?

Look, I think this is a terrible idea.  While many of us are thoughtful and well-considered in our approach to criticism, that doesn't stop many of us from posting in the heat of the moment, or simply out of an undeserved sense of privacy.  

Once information is on the internet, it's there.  Deleted or not, it will continue to exist in various servers, screenshots and in the files of those foreign intelligence agencies which are looking to do harm to the USG.  You have only to look at Twitter to see this happening all the time - Donald Trump comes to mind, or groups like Diplotwoops, which record and re-post deleted tweets from official government accounts.

This is not a harmless endeavor, although I believe the intent is good.  Sites like ratemyprofessor do not pose a threat to national security, and I believe this site may do just that.
MP
Reply with quote  #2 
These are some good, thoughtful questions.  I can appreciate that you may not like the idea.  A lot of your questions really have to do with how users will utilize the site and I think at this stage it is just too early to tell.  I have heard a number of people raise the issue that this site will harm national security.  I disagree.  Much of this information is already being discussed in personal email, social media and other public forums.
domani spero

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act may be a good reference here. That said, it would still be good to know the site's policy for requesting a take down of offensive or false content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domani spero

I have several questions and concerns.

1. What is your tool for preventing an employee with an axe to grind from submitting multiple negative reviews about a single individual?  
2. What is your method for "reforming" a person's profile once someone posts something negative about an employee? 
3. How is an employee supposed to be able to rebut negative comments, or respond to criticism?  How do you prevent it from becoming a he-said, she-said, very public, back and forth played out for the world to see?  
4. If a critique is posted with inflammatory or damaging statements, what is your method of preventing permanent damage to the employee's reputation and career?  
5. Who is liable for the statements posted on the site?  
6. Why is there no opt-out possibility?
7. When these reviews are picked up by the media and published on broadly read news sites like the Washington Post (because there is no such thing as privacy on the internet), who will be responsible to respond to these statements?  
8. When other diplomats from foreign nations read these comments about US diplomats they work with, and learn information (true or not) which may be damaging to relations between diplomats, how do you intend to remedy this?
9. Who will be moderating this site?  An FSO?  A private citizen?  
10. How will you deal with data breaches when they happen?

Look, I think this is a terrible idea.  While many of us are thoughtful and well-considered in our approach to criticism, that doesn't stop many of us from posting in the heat of the moment, or simply out of an undeserved sense of privacy.  

Once information is on the internet, it's there.  Deleted or not, it will continue to exist in various servers, screenshots and in the files of those foreign intelligence agencies which are looking to do harm to the USG.  You have only to look at Twitter to see this happening all the time - Donald Trump comes to mind, or groups like Diplotwoops, which record and re-post deleted tweets from official government accounts.

This is not a harmless endeavor, although I believe the intent is good.  Sites like ratemyprofessor do not pose a threat to national security, and I believe this site may do just that.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.